Din Tai Fung Sweet & Sour Pork
How to prepare your Sweet & Sour Pork:
- Thaw out the pork tenderloin in the fridge overnight.
- In a clean deep pan, pour your choice of cooking oil to around 1-2 inches high, or just enough for deep frying. Heat the oil on high heat until temperature reaches 170 C, for around 15-18 minutes. Note: If without a thermometer, dip the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick into oil. If the oil steadily bubbles around the utensil, it should be ready. If bubbling is too vigorous, oil is too hot.
- In a clean bowl, prepare an egg wash by combining 1 whole egg with ¼ cup of water and mix.
- Coat pork tenderloin with egg wash and evenly dredge with 100gm (3/4 cup) of cornstarch. Shake off excess cornstarch.
- Gradually and slowly add the pork into the hot oil.
- Deep fry the pork until golden brown and crispy, for around 7-8 minutes. If needed, fry in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Remove from pan, shake off excess oil, and transfer to a bowl lined with a paper towel.
- Heat the sauce in a pan over medium heat (for around 3 minutes), or in the microwave just until warmed through (for around 45 seconds).
- Pour sauce over the fried pork and carefully toss until evenly coated.
- Transfer to a plate and serve hot.